The sad news is that typically only 3% of website visitors convert leaving a whopping 97% that simply pass you by. Well let's take a look at that 97% because between you and me, not all visitors are created equal.
If you're anything like the rest of us, your website has become a focal point for your marketing effort, with significant resources going into generating website traffic in the hope that it will become new business opportunities.
But what if you could increase the return on any marketing spend by analysing your website traffic to identify visiting organisations, along with the pages they viewed?
Knowing that an organisation has a specific requirement and even which products or services they spent time looking at can be a very valuable insight.
We've found that this technique works very well for business to business websites, particularly where there is a high value product or service.
Plus, if you can easily identify the person within an organisation that would have responsibility for purchasing your products it's easy to keep your sales team focused on timely and targeted opportunities.
Making it easier to manage
If you could respond to an active prospect within a couple of days you'd have the appearance of an almost mystical sixth sense, but this is easy enough when you combine a daily summary email or even an instant alert - if you wanted to try opening up a chat session for example.
How to take it further
Visitor identification is like taking the lid off your visitor analytics. When you begin to see the who and the why, you can gain a unique insight into how your website is being used and by who.
Think about how your process might work when it comes to actioning this new information, and whether there are any specific criteria such as where your prospects are coming from that you might use to filter down your prospects to the ones you really want to know about.